Assistant General Counsel, CCB Legal Review Team (LRT) – Vice President
JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.6 trillion and operations worldwide. The firm is a leader in investment banking, financial services for consumers and small business, commercial banking, financial transaction processing, and asset management. A component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, JPMorgan Chase & Co. serves millions of consumers in the United States and many of the world’s most prominent corporate, institutional and government clients under its J.P. Morgan and Chase brands. Information about JPMorgan Chase & Co. is available at www.jpmorganchase.com.
The Legal Department of JPMorgan Chase & Co is responsible for the provision of legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams and businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
Consumer & Community Banking Legal
The Consumer & Community Banking (“CCB”) legal teams provide dedicated strategic and transactional legal support for the various CCB businesses. The CCB attorneys are legal subject matter experts regarding these LOBs, including their applicable legal/regulatory requirements and the businesses’ products, services, and operations. The CCB ROC (Regulatory, Operations & Controls) team is responsible for providing legal services to CCB Operations, including collections and recovery, collections litigation, bankruptcy, sworn document processes, tax reporting, remediations and corrections, fraud and disputes, escalated customer complaints, and third party oversight. The team is also responsible for providing regulatory advice to all CCB businesses and control partners on key consumer protection statutes such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Telephone Consumer Protection Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, Servicemember Civil Relief Act, and Unfair/Deceptive Acts and Practices. In addition, the team monitors state and federal law and regulatory developments and leads CCB’s participation in the firmwide Office of Legal Obligations and Legal Regulatory Change Management processes. The CCB ROC team also provides legal support to CCB’s Audit, Compliance, Risk and Controls functions.
The CCB Legal Review Team (“CCB LRT”), a division within the CCB ROC team, seeks an experienced attorney to join a legal team responsible for overseeing a group of firms (outside counsel) retained to provide consumer default litigation services to the CCB LOBs. The team conducts periodic reviews of outside counsel (occasionally in conjunction with Operations, Technology, Compliance and/or Audit teams) to, among other things, evaluate the quality of legal services provided by outside counsel and supports the LOBs (and other Bank stakeholders) in managing the relationship with this group of firms. The attorney will work with outside counsel to manage ongoing issues related to reviews and will design and implement processes and procedures to further the Bank’s law firm oversight program and control agenda. The position will also include managing escalations related to the day-to-day engagement responsibilities of the outside law firms, drafting and revising law firm contracts, and handling regulatory and other exam-related inquiries related to the oversight of the outside law firms handling consumer default litigation. It is an exciting opportunity to provide support within JPMC as a member of a legal team that will continue to evolve.
The position requires significant interaction with the attorneys and staff within this group of law firms in all 50 states. This position also requires significant travel in connection with the onsite review process. When not traveling, the position will be based in Plano, TX.
Responsibilities will include:
· Managing outside counsel relationships through collaboration with business partner and legal department colleagues to draft contract updates, remediate identified law firm issues, and developing law firm oversight process improvements
· Deliver executive presentations on team activities, assessed risks, and legal opinions
· Maintain operational integrity of the team and document activities
· Participate in ongoing projects and perform other tasks related to the comprehensive law firm oversight program and default servicing
Candidates should possess, at a minimum:
· JD with at least six years of practicing law post JD with increased responsibilities and challenges demonstrated over time
· Attorney candidates must be in compliance with all relevant licensing requirements including the requirements of the jurisdiction where the role will be located prior to commencement of employment
· All candidates for roles in the Legal department must successfully complete a conflicts of interest clearance review prior to commencement of employment
· A background in creditor-side bankruptcy representation, credit card default litigation, mortgage foreclosure, or analogous financial services experience
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to listen and drive results in a team setting
· Strong interpersonal skills and a team player who can collaborate effectively
· Ability to travel 50% in connection with onsite reviews
· Work effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders
· Negotiate with internal and external parties
· Display strong analytical, organizational and communication skills
· Display a high degree of initiative, self-direction and ability to work independently
· Exercise decisive, sound judgment in a very fast-paced environment
· Adapt to change easily
· Strong sense of honesty and ethics as an officer of the court and a representative protecting the reputation of JPMC
· Ability to understand business needs and possess a strong understanding of the interplay between legal and business risk
· Some background in regulatory or enforcement matters
· Working knowledge of FDCPA, TCPA, SCRA, UDAAP and FCRA, and related debt collection laws
· Bilingual (Spanish)
· Litigation and investigative skills
· Background in litigation and settlement negotiation
· Interest in consumer banking/lending
· In-house experience a plus
- Wednesday, July 31:
- Saturday, September 28:
- Thursday, October 3:
- Wednesday, November 6:
- Thursday, November 7: