DAABA’s 2012 Fifth Annual Awards Night Event was held at the Nasher Museum and Sculpture Garden on October 17, 2012.
Thank you to our generous corporate sponsors! We especially want to recognize:
- OFFICIAL LAW FIRM SPONSOR OF DAABA: Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP
- VIP RECEPTION SPONSOR: Jackson Lewis, LLP
- PEARL SPONSORS: Haynes and Boone, LLP, RIM and Exxon Mobile
- EMERALD SPONSORS: Carter Stafford Arnett Hamada Mockler, LLP, JCPenney, American Airlines, Munck Wilson Mandala, and Jackson Walker LLP
- SAPPHIRE SPONSORS: Carrington Coleman, Locke Lord, LLP, Thompson & Knight, LLP, AT&T, K&L Gates, Asian Pacific Interest Section of the Texas State Bar, Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr PC, Passman & Jones, Northwestern Mutual, Weil Gotschal, Adecco, Baker & McKenzie, Special Counsel, Anderson Kill & Olick, PC, Andrews Kurth, LLP, and Thompson Coe
- RUBY SPONSORS: Legal Network, Quilling Sealander Lownds Winsleet and Moser, LLP, Alliance Insurance Group, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, Jones Day and Polsinelli Shughart
The key note address featured an esteem panel of three speakers:
Ms. Janet Dhillon is Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of J.C. Penney Company, Inc. Janet joined JCPenney in 2009, and previously held the role of senior vice president, general counsel and chief compliance officer for US Airways. In 2008, while at US Airways, Janet was named one of the ten most influential lawyers in Arizona by Arizona Business Magazine. Prior to joining US Airways, she spent 13 years at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP before joining US Airways’ legal department in 2004. Janet received her undergraduate degree from Occidental College in 1984, graduating magna cum laude and a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She then spent several years in the insurance industry before attending law school. Janet is a 1991 graduate from UCLA Law School, where she ranked first in her class and was awarded the Order of the Coif.
Mr. Tom Evans is the Vice President and General Counsel of Merchandising, Marketing and Supply Chain at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., where he has responsibility for the legal affairs and support of Walmart’s domestic Merchandising, Marketing, Supply Chain, Global Sourcing, Imports and customs compliance functions. Tom was a 2010 Finalist for the Texas Minority Counsel Program (TMCP) Corporate Counsel of the Year Award. Tom was nominated for that prestigious award for his leadership and dedication to promoting diversity, both at Walmart and in the legal profession. Before joining Walmart in 2002, Tom practiced law in Texas for eleven years, and he also served as the Associate General Counsel for the McLane Company.
Mr. Thomas J. Mielke is Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer for Kimberly-Clark Corporation. Tom has overall responsibility for the company’s legal affairs, government relations and internal audit activities. Before assuming his current role, Tom has served Kimberly-Clark in various legal positions, including Vice President and Chief Patent Counsel, and as Vice President and Chief Counsel for the company’s North Atlantic consumer businesses. Tom joined Kimberly-Clark in 1998 and has extensive U.S. and international patent, trademark and
general litigation experience. Before joining the company, he was a patent attorney with the Los Angeles law firm of Spensley, Horn, Jubas and Lubitz and with Dow Chemical Company in Midland, Michigan.
The 2012 Award Winners were as follows:
- Taryn Vu Outstanding Youth Award: Malachi Hamada, Student at Townview Magnet High School
- Jackson Lewis NAPABA Convention Award: Shruti Krishnan, Excentus
- Fulbright and Jaworski Law Student Recipient: Fawaz Bham, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Haynes and Boone Community Leadership Award: Dr. Walter Nguyen of Mosaic Family Services
[complete_gallery id=”155″ class=”alignnone” layout=”masonry” sort=”imageSize” ]