DAABA’s Sixth Annual Awards Night: A Night at the Perot Museum was held on October 10, 2013 at the Perot Museum of Nature and Science. DAABA’s annual Awards Night and Reception has become a celebrated yearly gathering of legal and business professionals spanning practices, industries, and cultures. Since its first event in 2008, DAABA’s Awards Night has grown in attendance and fanfare as we honor the professionals whose contributions to the legal and Asian American communities have made DAABA’s members proud.
We appreciate our sponsors, including:
- VIP SPONSOR: Norton Rose Fulbright
- ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION SPONSOR: Carter, Stafford, Arnett, Hamada, Mockler
- GOLD SPONSORS: Haynes and Boone, LLP and Exxon Mobile
- EMERALD SPONSORS: Mr. Victor Corpuz and Jackson Lewis, LLP, Quilling Sealander Lownds Winslett and Moser, and Alston & Bird LLP,
- RUBY SPONSORS: AT&T, Carrington Coleman, Andrews Kurth, LLP, Jackson Walker, LLP, Northwestern Mutual, Special Counsel, Locke Lord, LLP, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, Adecco Group Services, Winstead, Gruber Hurst Johansen Hail Shank, Thompson Coe, Fish & Richardson, Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr PC
- PEARL SPONSORS: Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, Anderson Kill & Olick, PC, Dallas Bar Association, Advanced Discovery, Constangy Brooks & Smith, Courtroom Sciences Inc., Carstens & Cahoon, LLP, Munck Wilson Mandala, Passman & Jones, Strasburger, Littler Mendelson P.C., Burford & Ryburn, LLP, Barry Sorrels, Kirkland & Ellis, LLP, Johnston Tobey, P.C, and ACC America – DFW Chapter
DAABA was honored to have Carol C. Lam, senior vice president a deputy general counsel for Qualcomm, Inc., as its 2013 key note speaker. Previously, Ms. Lam was the United States Attorney for the Southern District of California. Prior to her confirmation as United States Attorney, Ms. Lam was a judge of the Superior Court in San Diego, where she presided over a criminal trial calendar. From 1986 to 2000, she served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of California, where she was Chief of the Major Frauds Section. As a federal prosecutor, Ms. Lam convicted several high ranking members of the Chicago organized crime family La Cosa Nostra; obtained a guilty plea and a civil settlement of $110 million from National Health Laboratories, Inc. in a Medicare fraud case; and briefed and argued the first appellate case upholding the constitutionality of “roving” wiretaps. Ms. Lam is a recipient of the Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service and the Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an Assistant United States Attorney. In 2007 she was named one of California’s Top 100 Attorneys and one of California’s Top 75 Women Litigators by the Los Angeles Daily Journal, as well as Outstanding Attorney of the Year by the San Diego County Bar Association. In 2011, she received the Orange County Asian American Bar Association’s Trailblazer Award and in 2012, Ms. Lam received Legal Momentum’s Women of Achievement Award.
Congratulations to DAABA’s 2013 Award Winners:
- Law Student Scholarship Winner: Janet Landry, 2L, SMU Dedman School of Law
- Outstanding DAABA Member Award: Punam Kaji, Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Taryn Vu Outstanding Youth Award: Lauren Hoang, 9th Grade, The Hockaday School
- Community Leader Award: Amy Lewis Hofland, Executive Director of Crow Collection of Asian Art