DAABA’s Third Annual Awards Event was held at the Winspear Opera House on October 20, 2010.
We are grateful to our corporate sponsors! We especially would like to recognize:
- PLATINUM LAW FIRM SPONSOR: Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP
- PEARL SPONSOR: Jackson Lewis, LLP
- GOLD SPONSORS: Esquire Deposition Services, LLP, Exxon Mobile, Haynes and Boone, LLP, K&L Gates, Munck Carter, LLP, Research in Motion, Thompson & Knight, and Weil Gotschal & Manges
- SILVER SPONSORS: Alston & Bird, Asian Pacific Interest Section of the Texas State Bar, Baker Botts, Baker & McKenzie, LLP, Barlow Garsek & Simon, Bracewell & Guiliani, Carrington, Coleman, Sloman & Blumenthal, Cowles & Thompson, P.C., Jackson Walker, Jones Day, Locke Lord Bissell & Lidell, McKool Smith, Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr P.C., Sidley Austin, LLP, The Greater Irving / Las Colinas Chamber, and Vincent Lopez Serafino & Jenevein, PC
- BRONZE SPONSORS: Akin Gump Straus Hauer & Feld, AXA Advisors: Kyle Wood & Vatal Assar, Cathy and Ike Vanden Eykel, Carstens & Cahoon LLP, Chief Justice Carolyn Wright, Consorta Translations, Dykema Gossett, Sean T. Hamada, P.C., Sedwick, Deter, Moran & Arnold LLP, SNR Denton US LLP, Storm LLP, FosterQuan, LLP, Greenberg Trauig, LLP, Justice Michael J. O’Neill, Jones Carr McGoldrick, LLP, Kelly Hart & Hallman, LLP, Moore & Van Allen, Rose Walker LLP, Scheef & Stone LLP, The Sehgal Law Firm, PLLC, TERIS, Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons, Walker Sewell, Rhiannon Lee Photography, and DFW Asian American Citizens Counsel
DAABA’s key note speaker was Mr. Wayne Watts, senior executive vice president and general counsel for AT&T.
Prior to his current appointment, Mr. Watts served as vice president and associate general counsel for AT&T Inc., with legal responsibility for mergers and acquisitions, wireless operations, international operations, strategic planning, U-verse strategy and general corporate matters. Previously, he served as vice president and assistant general counsel for SBC Communications Inc., with responsibility for a variety of general corporate and subsidiary legal matters, including SBC’s mergers and acquisitions and wireless operations.
Mr. Watts joined Southwestern Bell Telephone Company in 1983 as an attorney in Dallas. In 1986, he became general attorney for Southwestern Bell Publications in St. Louis, and two years later he joined the mergers and acquisitions staff of SBC’s legal department in St. Louis. In 1989, Mr. Watts was named vice president-general attorney and secretary for Southwestern Bell Mobile Systems in Dallas. He became general attorney and assistant general counsel for SBC Communications Inc. in 1995 and served as legal counsel for SBC’s mergers and acquisitions and wireless operations. Throughout his tenure, Mr. Watts helped lead a series of mergers and acquisitions, valued at a total of more than $200 billion, that transformed SBC from the smallest of the Baby Bells to the largest communications holding company in the world.
Mr. Watts is a member of the Texas Access to Justice Commission, which strives to expand civil legal aid resources to low-income Texans. He is a member of the advisory boards of the SMU Dedman School of Law and the Salvation Army’s Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex Command, and the Development Board at the University of Texas at Arlington.
Congratulations to DAABA’s 2010 Award Winners:
- Community Leader Award: James C. Ho
- Inspirational Leader Award: Harry J. Joe
- Lifetime Community Leader Award: Wilson Chu
- Committee Co-Chairs of the Year: Sakina Rasheed, Wei Wei, Bill Richmond and Monika Singh Sanford
- DAABA Student Scholarship: Sophilia Hsu
- DAABA NAPABA Scholarship Recipient: Hao Ni
- Outstanding Member of the Year: Bill S. Richmond
- Taryn Vu Youth Achievement Award: Caleb M. Hamada