The 2011 Fourth Annual Awards Event was held at the Dallas World Aquarium on Thursday, October 20, 2011.
We are very thankful for our corporate sponsors! In particular, we would like to recognize:
- DIAMOND AND PLATINUM SPONSORS: Exxon Mobile, American Airlines, Shore Chan Bragalone DePumpo, LLP and Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP
- GOLD SPONSORS: Haynes and Boone, LLP, Godwin Ronquillo, PC, Morgan Lewis, Munck Carter, Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr, PC, Sedwick
- SILVER SPONSORS: Andrews Kurth, LLP, Asian Pacific Interest Section of the Texas State Bar, Bracewell & Giuliani, Carrington Coleman, Jones Day, JCPenney, Locke Lorde Bissell and Liddell, RIM, Thompson & Knight, Sidley Austin, LLP, Vinson & Elkins, LLP, Vincent, Lopez, Serafino and Jenevein, and Corporation Sciences Inc.
- BRONZE SPONSORS: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, LLP, Jerry Alexander, AT&T, Carstens & Cahoon, LLP, Dallas Bar Association, DFW Asian-American Citizens Counsel, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP, Greater Irving Chamber of Commerce, Jones Carr McGoldrick, Kris Ikejeri, Kelly Hart & Hallman, LLP, Loren Hsiao – Texas Financial Group, Overseas Chinese Americans – DFW Chapter, Walker Sewell LLP
DAABA’s 2011 key note speaker was Mr. Jack Balagia, Vice-President and General Counsel of Exxon Mobil Corporation.
Mr. Balagia graduated from the University of Texas at Austin (B.A. 1973 and J.D. 1976) and served as law clerk to U.S. District Judge W.M. Taylor, Jr. in Dallas, Texas. He joined the Austin firm of McGinnis, Lochridge and Kilgore in 1977, where his practice included energy litigation, oil and gas regulatory work and media law. During his time in private practice, he handled numerous trials to verdict and appeals in state and federal courts and represented clients in hundreds of contested administrative hearings before state agencies. He joined Exxon’s litigation section in 1998 and served as coordinator of Exxon’s (and ExxonMobil’s) upstream litigation until 2004 when he was named Assistant General Counsel. He was elected to his current position March 1, 2010.
Mr. Balagia serves on the Board of Directors of the Institute for Legal Reform of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and the Civil Justice Reform Group. He is a member of the Board of Visitors of the National Judicial College, the Board of Overseers for the RAND Institute for Civil Justice and the Board of Trustees of the Center for American and International Law.
Mr. Balagia has served in a number of capacities with committees of the State Bar of Texas, including several years as Chairman of the Bar’s Public Affairs Committee. In 2000, the Texas Supreme Court appointed him to the Court’s Board of Disciplinary Appeals, which has original and appellate jurisdiction over Texas lawyer disciplinary matters, and he served as Chairman of the Board from 2003-05. He served on the Board (2007-10) and as Vice-Chair of the Houston Bar Foundation, which oversees financial support for Houston Bar pro bono activities. He is a former Board member of the Austin Young Lawyers Association. He has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America and has been named a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly magazine.
Congratulations to DAABA’s 2011 Award Winners:
- Taryn Vu Youth Achievement Award: Rachel Rhoades
- NAPABA Scholarship: Cecilia Lai
- DAABA Student Scholarship: Salman Bhojani
- DAABA Student Scholarship: Daniier Tashbekov
- Outstanding Co-Chairs: Manson Ho and Jamie Mathew
- Outstanding Member Kris Ikejiri
- Inspirational Leadership: Albert Tan
- Community Leadership: NAAAP-DFW
- Lifetime Community Leader: Sang Cha
- Outstanding Trailblazer: Kathleen Wu